Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Bravery

Stupidity is not being scared of anything, and it's often confused with bravery. I have heard bravery described as different things. I remember cheesey movies and people that feel compelled to use the quote that "bravery is not the absence of fear, but the will to overcome it." I'm not about to define my own idea of bravery vs. stupidity, but I will admit--yesterday I did something that different people will say is either very brave or very stupid.


I cut my own hair. By myself.


I know, you're wondering why. Why on earth would I wield a pair of scissors and attack the mass known as my hair without professional help? Well, I'll tell you. The last time I sought "professional" help I wound up with this.


And this.


And yes, I know, part of the reason it was so crappy is because I am way too much of a cheapskate to fork out for a real, capital P, Professional. I'm sorry, but I'm just not willing to part with over $50 of my own money if there is going to be a chance it will wind up looking like the above. It's hard to find someone that really knows and understands curly hair. I'll call or talk to someone and they say they can do anything, anything at all, real good (I'm not trying to be racist, but I should have known that someone of Asian descent might be able to understand thick hair, but not the curly monster I have on my head). I've only had two hair stylists that I really liked, ever. Unfortunately one was down in Hemet over three years ago and I never knew the woman's name, and the other was in Utah. Fail. No way I'm going to either of those just for a freaking haircut. I'd rather go to London. (Emma anyone?)

This might sound like a humble brag, but cutting your own hair is not for the weak of heart. Seriously. It's a rush, and if you freak out halfway through, you're screwed. So, either suck it up and stick it out or be willing to pay the professional. Not one to back down from my own ridiculous challenge, I bought a pair of hair shears at Sally last week and got to work.

First step, straightening, obviously. Then for the chopping. It was rather surreal. I had a bit of an adrenaline rush and then before I knew it, BAM! I had chopped off a good two inches on the left side.

Now keep in mind I did a rush straightening, my hair is totally dirty because you don't wash curly hair as often, and this was my first time cutting anyone's hair. (My sister likes to claim that is a lie because as a child I took scissors to the front of my hair and gave myself an impromptu buzz cut/bangs. Twice. )Also, pardon the awkward cropping, but I was trying to save you from my indelicate immodesty. Gasp!


After




And here's what it looks like curly.


All in all, I like it. Next time I need to do more angling so that it is longer in the front and short like it is in the back, but that's for another day. And yes, I do feel brave for wearing polka dots with plaid.

2 comments:

  1. LOVE IT!! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that's amazing!!! definitely brave. If it had turned out bad then it might be considered stupidity, but it looks great!

    ReplyDelete